The family!

The family!
The family - October 2011

Saturday, June 25, 2011

1st vacation as a family of 4!

Two weeks ago (wow, that went by quick!) we bravely attempted our first vacation as a family of four. We really didn't know what to expect - 4+ hours in a car each way and two nights in a hotel with a 3 year old and a baby?!

We decided to go to Omaha. I went there with my family when I was in 6th grade (coincidentally the Omaha Zoo was my first vacation and it was the first time I had left the state as Iowa - something Camdyn and I can share)!

The drive there wasn't bad at all! Thankfully we had Curious George going in the backseat - I'm not sure how families traveled before constant internet access and portable TVs/DVD players. We arrived on Saturday afternoon and headed to the Omaha Children's Museum.


It was nice but I definitely think the Children's Museum in Coralville was way cooler. There was an optional exhibit (Dinosaurs of the Ice Age) that you could pay extra to go see. We literally spent about 15 seconds in there before we had to leave. The exhibit was too life-like for Parker's liking. :)

The next day we spent about 6 hours at the zoo - and didn't even see the entire thing! Parker had a blast and it was neat for us as adults as well. Camdyn just hung out in the stroller but she loved riding the train throughout the zoo. Speaking of the train - as I pulled her out of the stroller to board, I noticed her outfit was wet and it kind of made mine damp (assuming it was a wet diaper)...oh no. I had the opportunity to clean a blow-out diaper up on one of the train benches. Thankfully I didn't get caught by a zoo staffer - I'm sure she will love hearing that story once she gets older. :)

My favorite Parker story of the day was when we went to the building that had insects, snakes, etc in glass cases. Parker had no idea that there was a snake two inches away from his face as he pressed his face up against one of the glasses. I will never forget the little dance he did with squinted eyes and clenched hands as he screamed "I'm scared Mommy!" Another story for the teeenage years. :)





All in all we had the best time and I can't wait to take another trip with my little family! Brian said next year he gets to pick since I picked Chicago last year and Omaha this year. I'm hoping next year he trusts Parker and Camdyn enough for a plane ride, sandy beaches and the ocean. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment